Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Biography


Papa Hemmingway
A.E. Hotchner

Years ago when I explored Hemmingway via "Islands In The Stream" and "The Old Man And The Sea", I was taken with the writer Earnest.
I don't think that I had read any books laced with more testosterone than Hemmingway's accounts near the sea. I actually stayed in a room at The Compleat Angler on the island of Bimini on more than one occasion, where Earnest wrote much of these novels. It has since burned down (how sad), but of course the Hemmingway "touch" remains there on the little Island. Like many, I have wondered about the "real" character of Earnest Hemmingway. There are many renderings of His life. Most share some common charateristics, but this one, I think, stands out as a true reveal. Hotchner actually spent a significant amount of time with Earnest in his last 11 years. He saw him at his best...and perhaps worst moments (subjectively speaking). I am enjoying this biography as much as any I have ever read. I can reccommend this volume with great enthusiasm!

Here is my "poetic" synopsis:



Papa died.

I knew that...who didn't know that?

I picked up a copy of Hotchner's memoir.

Papa died again.

This time with dignity,

And honor afforded the runners who run long,
Dancers who dance strong,

Drinkers who drink hard,
lovers who love with awe,

Hunters who honor their prey,
sailors who drink their seas,

Writers who bleed their words,
embracing the anemia it affords,

And then drained, weakened, devoid and ashen,
they take their leave in a manner only they might conceive:
dramatically, decisively, completely, alone, and...without apology.

rc

No comments: