Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Silent Night
Stanley Weintraub

I bought the movie Joyeux Noel last year. It is the movie based on this incredible story of truce between men holed up in the trenches of Western Europe. It was that "one special Christmas" season that prompted a display of human character that has seldom been replicated. Soldiers from opposing armies stopped their bloody confrontation for a Christmas observance that brings to mind the real character of war....and the difficulty of conducting it face to face...man to man...soul to soul. I loved the movie... I am loving the book.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Have you read much about Harry Patch this week? He was the last surviving British soldier of the trenches in WWI. His insight into war in his later years is powerful. He and his friends had a pact to shoot the Germans in the legs unless they might die. They didn't want to kill anyone else.

RIC said...

Yes I have Elizabeth...actually, I cut out the article and placed it in the book for future reminders. I'd like to get you back on the air. Contact me when you can.